Sunday, December 18, 2011

TOS Review: Vintage Remedies

I used to dread the cereal aisle of the supermarket.  It seems innocent enough but inevitably there is always a kid who is having a meltdown in this aisle (luckily it's not always mine).  We strive to eat a healthy diet and live as healthy and naturally as we can.  But man, sometimes it's really hard to get through to my kids the reasons why I'm making the decisions I am.

PhotobucketThat was until I received a copy of Vintage Remedies for Kids.  This little book is just chock full of good stuff.  Based on their popular Vintage Remedies  for Guys and Girls books, Vintage Remedies for Kids is geared toward kids ages 2-6.  It is a resource to help parents teach  topics of natural living that include wellness, nutrition, immunity, natural body care, and the conservative use of valuable natural resources.   This workbook is packed with projects for your little ones to complete that will reinforce the subject matter discussed and help them understand why healthy choices are important (and why the chocolate chip cookie cereal probably isn't the best choice for breakfast).

The book is 201 pages with three sections covering food and drink, health and wellness, and healthy lifestyles, with 18 topics/lessons in all.   Each topic is explained first to the parent in the "Parents Section" and then to the child through the "Read to Me" section.  Following the read to me section are follow up questions to ask and discuss with your child and projects for you to complete together. The book costs $25.00 and can be purchased HERE.

Little M really enjoyed the projects in the food and drink section.  He's usually my helper in the kitchen but it was really fun to have a way to explain to him the choices we make about our food before we buy it and prepare it.  The hand washing song in section two has been stuck in his head for days now and he is totally excited to be "The Bag Man" because it's now his job to remember to bring the reusable bags with us when we go to the store.

Although the book is targeted to kids ages 2-6, Ms. Q listened in and learned a few things too.  I did change the wording up a bit when I was reading or asking questions to her so she wouldn't think it was too babyish for her.  Honestly, the book is written so well and doesn't "talk down" so I really didn't need to change much.

Photobucket

From the moment this book arrived I was impressed.  The book came so beautifully packaged, I wish I had taken a picture but I was so excited I didn't even think about it!  I also received a copy of The Kitchen Herbal as gift for Mom. This is another fabulous book! Vintage Remedies offers many different products and resources from online courses in professional herbalism and holistic wellness to natural food cookbooks and resources for children.  I have added Vintage Remedies for Girls to Ms. Q's must have curriculum list for next year and have added some of the mini lessons to my wish list as well.

To see what other TOS reviewers have to say about Vintage Remedies and their youth programs check out the BLOG.

Photobucket
Disclosure: As a member of the 2011-2012 The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Homeschool Crew, I was provided this product for free in exchange for my review.  No other compensation was given and this review reflects my honest opinion.

No comments: