Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wordle Anyone?

A few fellow bloggers recently mentioned a new teaching device called Wordle.  What is a wordle I wondered?  Well this is a wordle:

I used the About page on the blog to create this word cloud.  The program uses inputted words to create a random word cloud.  The more times a word is used, the bigger it appears in the cloud.  I think this is one of the coolest things I have found on the internet in quite a while.  You type in whatever you want, be it a list of  words, a poem, or even a presidential speech and you end up with a randomized word cloud.  You can then change color and font.  This website has some good ideas to include wordle in your schoolwork.  The possibilities for using it are endless. 

We haven't used it in our homeschool yet but I made a wordle of my daughter's name and some positive attributes about her.  When I gave it to her, she read the sheet and asked in a quiet voice if I thought these were true about her.  I said yes, she smiled and hugged me.  She later hung the paper on the wall in her bedroom and asked to make one for each of her brothers.

You can make your own here.  Have fun with it!

4 comments:

The Adventurer said...

This sounds fun will have to give it a try after school is done:) thanks for linking up to the NOBH

Unknown said...

Hi Jess! This is a very cool idea to incorporate in homeschooling. Thank you for sharing it, and linking up at NOBH. Have a wonderful day.

Lindsey V said...

This is such a cute idea! And I love how your daughter reacted! Precious!

Hopping over from NOBH!

Zelda said...

saw you on NOBH and HHM.
Think this idea is amazing and can't wait to do ti for my girls.